Monday, June 7, 2010

Keeping busy, being patient.

I hate being patient. I hate being told to be patient. I hate having somebody tell me that good things come to those who wait. I want to kick those people in the groin. (Actually, I would like to spend an entire day just wandering the streets of New York City, walking up to absolutely random strangers and kicking them really hard in the groin.)

There might be some sort of law somewhere which prohibits me from doing that, so I guess I wont.

I've been writing for about a decade and change now, actually even further back than that. Anybody who knew me in Bushwick High School, any of my family members and closest friends, anyone of them could tell you that I always enjoyed writing and drawing. (I wasnt all that good at the drawing, but I did get better with the writing)

I think the first story I ever wrote was on one of my older sister's spiral notebooks. (that full story will come later) I used my notebook stories to practice my craft and eventually began to learn all i could about screenplay writing.

I learned the format real easy. I all ready had the creativity so i figured it would just be a matter of time before that first screenplay sale.

It never happened.

I learned how to write laters to agents, and i sent them respectfully with the self addressed stamped envelope so their lazy asses didnt have to spend money on a stamp when they passed on my screenplays and wished me good luck in my future endeavors..

In the meantime you practice your craft and you the people and go to the places and you're encouraged to just stick with it and....show patience..(sigh)

Show patience/just wait/ it will eventually happen/blah blah blah..

but they're right. Every family member, friend, enemy and associate who said those words to me were correct. I sort of figured it out now.

Even as you pursue what you want to be in life and even as you practice your craft, you will realize that there is always something more you can learn. One little trick, one additonal method...and as you develop patience and skill in your chosen field you also gain wisdom and the ability to honestly look at what you have done, are doing and what you hope to accomplish.

I have always believed in the story that I wish to tell with A Distant Battlefield. I know what I wish to say, I know how I wish to say it, and I know where I wish to take my audience. It is not just another Sci-fi movie with big explosions and bugs and lizards and robots..All those things are present, but I also wanted to say something about us as well.

I think I have the formula figured out. I think you will be pleased and interested, and entertained with what I will present you.

I have written and re-written the story on a number of occassions until I got the blend just right. I shopped it around and I got my share of praise and rejections and now Wheatmark Publishing has agreed to help me bring it to the public. As they go through the process of getting the book ready for the public, they have told me to relax, and..just show some patience.

I say the same to you as well. (sigh)
I just wanna kick someone in the groin right now..

No comments:

Post a Comment